Disclaimer: The photo is not an ‘ATCHEA’ original (funny – I just realized the abbreviation for ‘And They Cooked Happily Ever After’ sounds like a sneeze) but this recipe IS! Well, original in the fact that I didn’t follow the Loaded Baked Potato Pizza recipes online, and just flew by the seat of my pants in putting it together. I really love taking photos of the finished product but honestly, this got eaten so fast, there was no time to snap a picture! And it was just too good not to share.
I know I’ve mentioned that Dave and I make pizza on a regular basis, and while it’s usually kept simple, from time to time we really like to switch it up.
Last night, my parents came over to meet their new ‘grandpuppy’, and pizza and salad were on the menu. But I wanted to try something different for a change. I have had Baked Potato Pizza at some pizza shops, and have always had it in the back of my head as a combination that I would like to try, and tonight folks was the night! Little bit of work compared to your standard cheese and pepperoni, but well worth the effort – promise.
Loaded Baked Potato Pizza
1 ball of your favorite pizza dough
3-4 small sized red or white potatoes, sliced thin
6-8 pieces of cooked bacon, chopped into small bits
8oz fat-free sour cream
1/4 cup of chopped chives
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz. cheddar/mozzarella cheese mixture
2-3 chopped green onions for garnish
1) Cook your potatoes first. Season with salt and pepper, lightly coat with olive oil or cooking spray, and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes, rotating once so that they don’t burn on the bottom. Set aside.
2) Cook your bacon to desired consistency. I personally like it a little crunchier, especially when chopping it, but it’s really your preference. Set chopped bacon aside.
3) Mix the sour cream and chopped chives together. Season with salt and pepper.
4) Roll out your pizza dough – layer the sour cream mixture, cheese, potatoes, bacon and chopped green onions.
5) Bake in a preheated 500 degree oven for about 10 minutes, or until pizza reaches desired level of ‘cookedness’.
Honestly, I don’t pat myself on the back much, but this was SO good. If you’re a lover of a loaded baked potato or potato skins, this is a great way to make a meal out of your favorite side dish.
Hope everyone had a great weekend!