I gotta say, multi tasking these days is a must. Tonight, I have like a zillion and a half new recipes I want to try – and there’s the ‘clicker’ method of training we’re trying with Hair, AND there’s a new episode of Restaurant Impossible on – ugh. Not enough hours in the day sometimes. Dave had hockey tonight, which meant that I was home with Hairy by myself – and I don’t know why I’m slightly terrified to be alone with this little brown bundle of joy, but I feel somewhat this way. Maybe because in 2 weeks, we are down 2 pairs of flip flops, 1 lap top charger and 1 phone charger. He moves fast that one!
Do you guys remember the delicious candy bar that was invented some years ago by Hershey called ‘Take-5’? Augh – so good. A combination of some of my favorite things on earth – chocolate, pretzels, peanut butter, caramel and peanuts – phew. And honestly I feel like this particular genius combination really never got the credit it deserved. It was that candy bar at the check out whose box was still full or had a slight layer of dust on it. And that always made me sad. Sure Snickers and Milky Ways are old classics that will probably still be around 1,000 years from now when robots are ruling the earth (I really do believe this will happen). But Take-5 really pushed the limit in the candy bar world, and is probably one of the only ones I know that incorporates pretzels, which I think is genius!
What’s up w/ my Take-5 tangent? I stumbled apon these delightful looking Brownie Batter Bites from The Domestic Rebel. And there were 2 things that struck me about this recipe – 1) It looked super easy and 2) It was reminiscent of my favorite underrated candy bar, Take-5’s, incorporating chocolate brownie batter, pretzels and chocolate. So I took it, and added peanut butter to it. Peanut butter makes everything better (especially rubber kongs – just ask Hairy)
‘Take 5’ Brownie Bites
(makes about 3 dozen bites)
1 box of dry brownie mix
1 stick of butter, melted
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 bag of mini-pretzels
2-4 tbsp. of heavy cream (or milk)
8 oz. milk or dark chocolate
1) In a large mixing bowl, combine the brownie mix, melted butter and peanut butter. As you’re mixing, you’ll notice that this batter will become pretty dry. That’s what the cream/milk is for. I added a little at a time until it reached more of a doughy consistency. I would start with 2 tbsp. and add as you need it to soften the batter.
2) On a cookie sheet lined with wax paper, lay out 36 mini pretzels. Take about 1 tsp of the brownie/PB batter and roll into a ball between your palms.
3) Place ball of batter on top of pretzel, then cover with another pretzel making yourself a little ‘sammie’. Once you’ve finished assembling all the sammies, place them in the fridge for about 1/2 hour so they can chill.
4) While sammies are chilling, melt your chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave. Take your sammies out of the fridge, submerge them in the melted chocolate and then cover with rainbow sprinkles (or your topping of choice!)
So in the end, I got to accomplish A LOT in one night:
1) Made these delicious Take 5 bites (and ate so many, I gave myself a stomach ache – am I 30 or 12?) while still managing to keep an eye on Hairy (I’m down to my last pair of flip flops – it’s essential to not let him out of my sight)
2) Just about nailed the ‘SIT’ trick with the help of many clicks and MANY more treats.
3) Got to watch the new R.I. – it amazes me what they do in 2-days – and I think Robert Irvine is totally sexy – there I said it – Sorry Dave 🙂