What is it about babies and buffalo chicken that go hand in hand? Probably nothing, but it seems lately that they go together like peas and carrots.
Back in April, it was Becky’s Having a Baby Buffalo Chicken Eggrolls – in an effort to push baby Lane along, I brought these to a pre-baby ladies lunch at Becky’s house, hoping that a little spiciness would have Lane saying “Man it’s hot in here – I gotta get out!” – and while they didn’t send Becky into labor, they were still pretty tasty.
And yesterday, Buffalo Chicken Dip was a celebratory snack for my other college gal pal Lauren and her husband Steve. They welcomed their first baby girl, Dylan Olivia, into the world on August 30th. Lauren was a trooper, practically going through full labor and THEN after all of that, having to get an emergency C-Section – oye. So I imagined showing up to Lauren and Steve’s front door, and Lauren being sprawled out on the couch, buried under blankets with a cold-compress on her head, looking faint and exhausted. Silly me – Lauren greeted us at the door, perfectly put together with the most stylish of ‘post-baby’ outfits, with Little Dyllie Doo-Doo in one arm, and the other arm open for a hug. Dylan is the cutest little nugget – and while I was a little disappointed at the super dark hair she was sporting the first few days, in person, the faintest hint of red hair (just like her mom’s) is starting to show through – so I’m really hoping that next time we see her, she’s a full blown ginger!
Lauren looooves Buffalo Chicken Dip, so while I wasn’t there in the hospital to hold her hand or feed her ice chips, I was there yesterday with a massive bowl of Buffalo Chicken Dip with her name written all over it 🙂
Dyllie’ Doo-Doo’s Buffalo Chicken Dip
2 – 8oz blocks of cream cheese
(I used 1/3 fat version)
1 – 16 oz. bottle of Ranch dressing
(or you could use Blue Cheese)
2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
5-6 cooked chicken tenders, chopped into small pieces
1 bottle of Frank’s Hot Sauce
(you can use more or less, depending on how spicy you like it)
1 – 8oz bag of cheddar cheese
crumbled blue cheese for garnish
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2) In a saucepan, melt cream cheese and ranch dressing together over medium heat until most lumps have disappeared (it’s ok to still have some lumps).
3) Place the chopped celery, chopped chicken and hot sauce in a 9×13″ baking dish and mix together. Pour the cream cheese and ranch dressing mixture in and mix until combined.
4) Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
5) After 20 minutes, take the dip out of the oven and add the cheddar cheese. You can either sprinkle it on the top, or mix it all together (I like to mix it).
6) Bake for another 10 minutes, uncovered, until bubbly on top. Sprinkle with a little blue cheese and serve hot!
The finished product is can be served with tortilla chips, carrot and celery sticks, or just stick a spoon in there and go to town! This is one of those dips that once you start, it’s really hard to stop, so brace yourselves.
Congrats to Lauren and Steve and welcome to the world Dylan! Sure hope you like Buffalo Chicken 🙂